Sunday, April 10, 2016

Book Review: The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay

Hey look at that another book review. (Hooray!) This one is a little overdue since I read the book about a few months ago but I am sure it will be fine. So now for the back story. (WARING THIS BLOG WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS). With that out of the way let's begin. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay takes place during the golden years of comic books, and basically talks about two friends who start up their own comic book series and basically make the big time in the world of comic books.   

So let me just start off by saying, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay is an amazing book. It really changed how I saw the creation of comic books. For a comic book lover like me, the book makes you really think about what it was like to make comic books back in the golden age of comic.

Another thing that I found truly interesting was the author’s idea to make Sammy homosexual, it was truly a shock, but I feel he did it, because without that extra point, Sammy was personally a very bland character and extremely 1 dimensional to me.

The next thing that The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay does amazing is how it used its fiction aspect.  In some parts of the book it would tell you a story from the Escapists point of view, bending the line between what was real and what was fantasy in the book. I found this to be really neat but kind of confusing at times. I felt the author could have done maybe a little better job with it.
My one struggle with the book is that it was a little hard to follow at some points, it was hard to tell whose point of view the story was being told from, and what exactly was happening.

The final The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay does well is its structure. I personally like the idea that you get to see the world from both the points of Sammy and Joe. I know a lot of books do this, but I feel that it works extremely well in this book.

But besides that one small problem The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay was an outstanding book and I wish more authors did books back in the golden days of comics.  

No comments:

Post a Comment